Southport 7-1 Longridge Town: Seven heaven for Yellows as Port coast into Lancashire Challenge Cup Second Round

Southport hosted Longridge Town in the 2022/23 Lancashire Challenge Trophy.

Reigning Lancashire Challenge Cup champions, Southport, coasted into the next round of the competition after beating Longridge Town 7-1.

Niall Watson was the pick of the goalscorers with a brace as the Yellows had six different scorers on the night with Tyler Walton, Charlie Munro, Connor Woods, Enoch Lusiama and Keenan Quansah all got on the scoresheet.

Port were immediately on the front foot and almost went in front after Jack Doyle forced James Aspinall into a diving save but the danger wasn’t averted as it fell to Walton who rattled the post after just minutes.

After 10 minutes the hosts were in front. Watson and Walton combined on the edge of the box before the former Farsley Celtic-man rounded the goalkeeper and tapped into an empty net.

Despite taking an early lead, Southport were made to defend as the North West Counties side battled back with a flurry of chances.

Cian Spencer-McDermott, Jake Arrowsmith and Scott Harris all had attempts on goal with Harris coming closest as Tony McMillan had to claw an effort out of the bottom corner.

The Sandgrounders answered back as Charlie Oliver’s cutback to Watson was blocked. But before long, the hosts doubled their lead.

Longridge were careless in possession in their own half as Oliver found Munro in acres of space, the Southport captain then rifled his effort beyond Aspinall – despite the goalkeeper getting fingertips to the strike.

Two soon became three after the restart. Substitute Connor Woods was on hand to fire home after Watson’s cut-back at the far post.

REACTION: Southport manager Liam Watson makes admission following Longridge Town rout as Port dealt two injury concerns

Although, Longridge fired back shortly after in a defensive lapse from the hosts. Cameron Gourley ghosted towards the near post and powered a header past George Goudie – who replaced McMillan after the veteran shot-stopper was on the wrong end of a collision prior to the break.

The two-goal deficit was only temporary as Accrington Stanley loanee, Lusiama, was on hand to head home from close-range after a teasing corner.

Southport were ruthless are they looked to inflict misery on the Ridge. Woods turned provider for Watson as he burst towards the byline before firing across the face of goal for the Port’s number 17 – who got a deserved first goal of the night.

Woods almost had a second but Aspinall was equal to his stinging near-post effort, moments later the National League North outfit had six.

A quick throw-in came to Michael Carberry who teased a delivery into the danger area and Quansah was on hand to glance home.

Jordan Archer almost capped his cameo appearance with goal but Aspinall again was on hand to keep the number of goals conceded down. Unfortunately for the goalkeeper, it was soon seven.

Dylan Vassallo brilliantly weaved his way through three defenders before finding Watson in the six-yard box who made no mistake to fire home.

There was enough time for one more piece of action as Munro pulled Spencer-McDermott down in the box leaving the referee to make no option to point to the post.

And the former Bootle midfielder stepped up but saw his effort saved by the debutant.

Match Stats:

Southport 7-1 Longridge Town

Goals: 11′ Tyler Walton, 37′ Charlie Munro, 47′ Connor Woods, 57′ Enoch Lusiama, 62′, 82′ Niall Watson, 77′ Keenan Quansah; 52′ Cameron Gourlay.

HT/FT Score: 2-0/7-1.

For enquiries:

Other Match Reports...