Skem United happy to bounce back after Vauxhall Motors blip

Skem United manager Paul McNally says he is happy with the reaction of his side after they bounced back from the 1-0 defeat to Vauxhall Motors before coming from behind to beat Litherland REMYCA 3-1.

The Bank Holiday weekend saw two games in 48 hours for McNally’s side with Mick McGraa’s side ending the good run of form that Skem put together which saw them win four out of their previous five.

Jack Kelly’s goal 19 minutes from time proved decisive as Motors sought revenge after the two met in the FA Cup with Skem coming out on top on the occasion.

Their bid to return to winning ways suffered a blow as Tom Hilditch put Remy in front only for three second half goals from the hosts, including a brace from Ibrahim Conteh, which saw them return to winnings

“I’m happy with the reaction just not happy with the defeat on Saturday, I wanted four points minimum and we got three so we’re down under the total that I wanted.

“But I’m happy with the response although we weren’t at our best but we got the win and that’s all that matters

“We never really got going in the game, I think that was the poorest game we’ve played all season.

“A poor game overall, Mick [McGraa] said the same. We both said it, I don’t think either of us strung two passes together it was scrappy, no one looked like they were going to win it.

“They then got the goal, they only looked that they were going to win because they had something to hang onto, credit to them, they’ve got a win. I’m not going to argue with it, on reflection it was probably a 0-0 and the pitch didn’t help us.

“I’ve got no complaints, once they got the goal they never looked like they were going to get beat. We’ve had our fair share of those and they done a number over us, credit to them.

“First half was a hangover from Saturday, they never done anything that we’ve been working on all season.

“We stopped working on our principles, pressing from the front, being aggressive to win the ball back and we didn’t do that in the first half. Saying that we had a lot of opportunity in that first 45 and we never took our chances.

“Second half it was totally different. I don’t think they had a shot, we responded a lot better and could’ve been more towards to the end.

“I would [say it’s a blip] Vauxhall are a good team, a hard team to play against and we both knew each other’s games so we just cancelled each other out.

“Then the REMY game, was sort of a blip because we got beat maybe we were a bit tentative to start and we grew into it. I wouldn’t say it’s a lasting thing, obviously we’ve had injuries and suspensions which has had an impact. Two games in 48 hours might’ve had a lot to do with it too.”

[Featured Image: Nick Gerrard]