Prescot Cables 1-1 City of Liverpool: Kyle Sambor and Peter Wylie on target as 10A bragging rights delayed

Prescot Cables vs City of Liverpool

Peter Wylie’s powerful header late on salvaged a point for City of Liverpool after Kylie Sambor brilliantly handed Prescot Cables the lead.

Sambor’s sixth goal of the season gave the hosts the lead after he cut inside and fired his left-footed effort into the top corner rooting debutant Ben Barnes to the spot.

The first-half was largely uneventful only for a burst of life created by the Cables number 11. Almost instantly after the opener, he raced in behind the Purps defence only to have is effort blocked by Barnes.

Paul McNally’s side were restricted to limited opportunities in the opening 45. Their best opening came through Danny Mitchley after Kenny Strickland’s pinpoint pass. The former Skelmersdale United striker strung the palms of Harvey Passant – who was deputising between the sticks for the injured Mitch Allen. Nathan Burke tried heading back into a dangerous area but Passant was on hand to claim.

With the team talk still fresh in their memories, City of Liverpool started the second-half strongly. Within minutes of the restart, they had the Cables goal under siege, firstly through Adam Hughes who was denied a second goal in as many games after his curling effort was deflected off the line and behind for a corner.

From the resulting set-piece, the low delivery caused problems for the Bulls’ defence and the sliced clearance was almost an own goal only for desperate defending on the line.

CABLES REACTION: ‘Bitterly disappointed’ – Prescot Cables manager Kevin Lynch left gutted by City of Liverpool draw

PURPS REACTION: ’Take a point’ – City of Liverpool boss Paul McNally taking positives despite ‘spoilt’ Prescot Cables encounter

Kevin Lynch’s side did manage to put the Purps under pressure in the final 45. Declan Daniels rose and powered a header from close range but Barnes was on hand to claw away.

Their best opening came after the hour mark as they were denied three times in quick succession.

John Murphy had the first bite but was left frustrated by Barnes, Sambor then saw his effort blocked on the line. Before James Edgar came closest to doubling Cables’ lead against his former side – just hours after his move was completed – but Barnes was on hand again.

But with just two minutes of normal time remaining, McNally’s side clawed themselves level. Strickland hung a corner kick towards the back post and captain, Wylie, fired his header into the back of the net.

There was time for one more Purps chance but Kevin Ellison failed to test Passant heading wide from 12 yards.

Prescot Cables sit 11th going into this weekend’s fixtures. Whereas City of Liverpool remain within the bottom four level on points with Witton Albion, having played two games more than Jon Macken’s side.

For enquiries:

Other Match Reports...