Marine 4-1 Southport: Britton brilliant as Mariners rule over the Port

Marine vs Southport Liverpool Senior Cup

Liverpool Senior Cup holders Southport were dumped out of the competition as Marine booked their place in the final against Runcorn Linnets.

Louis Britton will steal the headlines with a 35-minute hat-trick as he inspired Neil Young’s side to the Liverpool County FA showpiece for the first time since 2018.

Jordan Lussey opened the scoring from 12 yards but it was the former Bristol City man who marked his return from injury in blistering fashion. Both he and Sol Solomon combined for the first of the treble as the forward powered home at the back-post before Lucas Weir orchestrated the second.

He secured the match ball in second-half stoppage time as he fashioned space inside the 18-yard box before finishing with aplomb.

Lussey converted a second penalty in as many matches after Solomon was hauled down in the penalty area after the inside of the post denied Accrington Stanley loanee Joe Hardy. The former Sandgrounders midfielder came back to haunt his former club sending Tony McMillan the wrong way.

REACTION: Neil Young lauds Marine players after ‘excellent’ Southport win

REACTION: Southport manager Liam Watson offers blunt assessment of ‘poor’ Marine defeat

The Mariners maintained their one-goal advantage until 16 minutes from time after Tyler Walton scored his second goal in as many games for the Yellows. He fired beyond Bayleigh Passant after racing to the near post to convert Niall Watson’s cutback.

However, parity was shortlived as Britton prodded home after Solomon burst to the byline and fired across the face of goal.

A one-goal advantage became two eight minutes later when Britton was on hand again to tuck away at the far post after Lucas Weir swooped in to pick Chris Doyle’s pockets from McMillan’s stray pass.

With the Sandgrounders bruised and buried, Britton atoned from his earlier effort when he squandered the opportunity to complete his hat-trick after firing into the bottom left corner to rubber stamp the Mariners’ place in the Liverpool Senior Cup final.

For Marine, they will be looking to etch their name on the competition for the first time since 2008. Meanwhile, Dave Wild’s Runcorn Linnets were awaiting the victors, following their penalty shootout win over Bootle, as they look to win their Senior Cup trophy after entering the tournament for the first time since their reformation this season.

Match Stats:

Marine 4-1 Southport

Goals: 37′ Jordan Lussey (pen), 75′, 83′, 90′ Louis Britton; 74′ Tyler Walton

HT/FT: 1-0/4-1

For enquiries:

Other Match Reports...