City of Liverpool 4-3 Ramsbottom United: Steele’s treble hands Rams FA Cup heartache

City of Liverpool vs Ramsbottom United FA Cup

James Steele’s header deep into stoppage time booked City of Liverpool’s place in the next round of the FA Cup in a seven-goal thriller against 10-man Ramsbottom United.

The Purps forward completed his hat-trick just moments after Temiloluwa Ajibola’s equaliser in added time stunned the hosts in a hectic end to the replay.

Max Allen was also on the scoresheet but the 10-man Rams came from behind twice despite Kain Dean’s straight red card midway through the first-half.

Both sides cancelled each other out in the opening exchanges until Dean lunged in late on Michael Simpson.

Shortly before half-time, Steele opened his account for the night as he glanced James Edgar’s cross into the far corner to put City of Liverpool in front.

Their lead was doubled not long after as Allen’s left-footed free-kick found the top right corner.

Despite the man disadvantage, Ramsbottom United halved the deficit. Leon Creech burst through from a through ball, cleverly chipping over the on-rushing Ryan Hamer before tapping into an empty net.

Five minutes after the restart, Lee Donafee’s side were level. Domaine Rouse curled his free-kick round the Purps the wall into the bottom right corner which squirmed beneath the Purps number one.

REACTION: City of Liverpool manager Michael Ellison conflicted after dramatic FA Cup win over Ramsbottom United

Both sides exchanged blows throughout the second half. City of Liverpool tested Monk through Hallsall and the visitors came through Creech.

But with 10 minutes remaining, Steele ghosted in at the back post to turn home after Peter Wylie turned James Edgar’s inswinging corner goalwards.

With Ramsbottom chasing the game in second-half stoppage time, City of Liverpool thought they put the game beyond doubt

Substitute Will Jones charged down Monk’s backpass and nabbed it off the toe of the goalkeeper, but the chance went begging after his touch took him away from goal. He kept the chance alive but couldn’t find an oncoming Purp from the cut-back.

Dramatically, the visitors then went down the other end, Will Hall’s speculative forced Hamer into a diving save but Ajibola reacted quickest to fire the rebound home to seemingly send the game to extra-time.

However, with the last action of the contest, Jack Walls’ cross was met by the head of Steele to send the City of Liverpool faithful into raptures and book their place against Dunston in the FA Cup First Round Qualifying.

Match Stats:

City of Liverpool 4-3 Ramsbottom United

Goals: 40′, 80′, 90+ James Steele, 45′ Max Allen; 45′ Leon Creech, 50′ Domaine Rouse, 90′ Temiloluwa Ajibola.

HT/FT Score: 2-1/4-3.

For enquiries:

Other Match Reports...